Since arriving in America I have experienced many surprising things. America is a very interesting country with a wealth of opportunity for everyone, including immigrants. I feel like I am welcomed as an African American, but at the same time I still feel like an outsider from time to time. Due to the fact that I speak very little English, things are often difficult because there are not very many people who speak the same language as me. At the same time, I have been pleased to find that there are things such as newspapers and even some plays which are produced in our language.
In regards to housing, I have been able to find a small place within the small neighborhood of African Americans who recently traveled to the United States too. I have been very lucky in finding housing because in my explorations of the city I have seen some very sad situations with kids living in the streets. This is something I believe the country can do something about and I have seen in the news that there is a man taking a pictures of the children to raise awareness. I have also been lucky enough to find a special man. His name is Kaiden and he is amazing. He has been out looking for work recently, he really wants a factory job, but unfortunately those are hard to come by for us African Americans.
I have been thinking about this idea of a city life and new traditions, and I think I quite like it. The idea that we can all come together in one big melting pot and exist to gather in harmony is a beautiful thing. This idea is called assimilation, and I think I am on board with it.
Your Daughter,
Marissa
I have enclosed a picture of a job that Kaiden dreams of, working at
a cotton gin

No comments:
Post a Comment